My Raspberry Pi, one week on.

Well, I’ve had my Raspberry Pi for one week now………

…..and I love it.

The nostalgia that it evokes would have been enough for me, but it is also the challenge of getting various things working.

I had no initial setup problems, just imaged an SD Card with the Debian Squeeze distro, plugged in a keyboard, mouse, monitor, ethernet and power.  Booted up first time with no issues.

The first thing I did after booting was to update the firmware with the latest available.  To do this I used rpi-update from here.  After that I issued the two following commands.

apt-get update     {this command updates the package index files}

apt-get upgrade    {this command upgrades everything to the latest version}

After using the RPi for a couple of days like this I decided it was time to start trying a few things to improve the experience.  First on the list was Gnome.  Would it run and was it useable.  Well the answer is yeas and no.  It did run but not that fast, the CPU was maxing out almost continuously when trying to do the simplest tasks.  I tried a couple of things to give it a little more ompf.  Tried the different memory configurations, e.g. 224, 192, 128.  None of these made that much difference.

Next thing to try was creating a swap partition on a USB Flash Drive, but first I needed to get a suitable powered hub.  After referring to the elinux wiki, I found that my local PC World had this one in stock.

So £12.99 lighter, I plugged it in.  All seemed to work OK.  The only issue that I had was one that has been mentioned by a few, power being fed back into the RPi through the USB ports.  I decided to butcher an old USB extension lead and ‘cut the red wire’.  There are various thoughts on what is the best solution to this, I choose to ‘cut the red wire’ as I have limited knowledge of electronics, and cannot get my head around all the other explanations.

With the hub installed and working, it was time to setup the swap partition on the flash drive.  A very easy process, just used GParted to format the USB flash drive as a swap partition then selected Swapon.  The performance of Gnome was a little better but not enough.  So I decided to remove Gnome for now and just use LXDE.

Next thing to try was moving my rootfs to a USB external drive.  I just happen to have a 250gb one available.  Quite a simple task really, but I must admit I got some good pointers here.

Briefly.   Use Gparted to format drive to ext4, copy partition using rsync, edit cmdline.txt to point root to the new drive, in my case /dev/sda1.  The RPi is now booting from the SD card but mounts root from the USB drive.  I must say there is a vast improvement in performance now.  I may even give Gnome another try, although I suspect it is getting CPU bound so this may not help.  Roll on utilising the GPU.

Thanks to everyone at the RaspberryPi forum.  I haven’t posted much but I have learned a lot from reading about other peoples problems/ideas.

About these ads

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s